2012년 10월 8일 월요일

Oh! Behave!

                  Before I read this essay on 'drag king,' I had no idea what it meant. Not to mention I have never heard about it before. That is, of course, I was raised in Korea until 16. After then, I moved to California to study english and learn American cultures. Attending high school in California could not give me any hint of this 'Paris is Burning,' or 'drag king,' issues. After all, this certain term comes from more complex and broad area like New York!
                  I struggled to fit in and have normal conversation with my American friends while in high school. There were so many things I did not know. When they talk about cartoons, comedy shows or dramas in their youth, it got worse. So eventually I had to cram in all the basic knowledge about American culture by listening to my friends, or actually seeing them myself. Now I can talk about certain dramas or cartoons, but still I feel like I do not fully understand them.
                  Austin Powers series is another example. I have heard about Austin Powers series many times but never tried to actually rent the dvd or find clips from youtube. I had this stereotype that most American films contain sexual things. So I was not very surprised when I watched this episode about 'penis enlarger,' of Austin Powers Series.
                  Why do guys want to show off or sometimes hide their sexual abilities? Do girls really take interest in that when they first see a guy? Even if they do, is it really necessary for guys to expose like that? Maybe this is the major culture difference I feel. Mostly in Korea, TV shows have many rules to keep. They can not use profanity or sexual contents in public shows. In movies, there are no certain rules, but Koreans tend to feel very unpleasant to see or hear profanity and sexual contents on the big screen.
                   As I was going through some clips from Austin Powers, I realized that this certain character, drag king, makes guys that craves sex look very normal. It could give false idea to women that all men are like Austin Powers. To men, it gives them more rights to expose and talk about their sexual abilities or needs without hesitate.

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기