2012년 10월 8일 월요일

Queens of Language: Paris is Burning

Burning paris.... What is burning Paris?
For a second, I thought it was name of the war between New York and Paris.
But when I looked it up I got the gist of what it was but not completely understood. 

     I have to say this is a very odd culture in my point of view. I meet some gay people on the street in New York sometimes but never had an idea that they had their own culture. Most of all I was very surprise to see that they exaggerate their looks as if their outfits and make ups speaks who they are. It seems like anybody can be what they are if he/she dress up in overwhelming outfit or puts on too much makeup. 
      When I first arrived in New York, I was very dazed off from looking at people. There were so many interesting people that I could not take my eyes off! After 3 years, it still is pretty interesting how diverse it is. 
      Vogue-ing their outrageous looks very serious to them. I am not very into fashion myself, so I can not say rather they have great taste in clothes. Which is first, them wearing unusual outfits and heavy makeups or thinking that they will wear something very different from us so we can define them? I can not say which is first, since I do not completely know their cultures. 
      New Yorkers wear black. California girls wear Holisters. These are some standards we have. And somehow people listen to that and wear what they are expected to wear to show where they come from. I am guessing that takes huge part in Burning Paris and Drag Queen Balls. But again, I can not judge.

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기